Thursday, April 14, 2011

National Library Week - What to Read?


As a lifelong fan of reading, I can't say enough about libraries. As a child, my favorite summer days were the ones when the bookmobile would visit the small town in which I lived. How gratifying to see the same joy on the faces of my customers at Socastee Library!

When I first began working in the public library, I had been a school librarian for 30 years with the last 24 of those years in elementary schools so my knowledge of adult books was rather limited. While I could easily recommend books by Clive Cussler as an author of great suspense novels and Michael Palmer for medical mysteries, I frequently found myself receiving reader guidance rather than offering it.

Thanks to the patron who insisted I read by Transfer of Power by Vince Flynn as well as the lovely lady who sang Kristin Hannah's praises as she returned Between Sisters. I hope this week you will treat yourself to a trip to Socastee Library. I'll be one of the workers at the circulation desk and will be glad to help you find a great read. - Debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment