- Unfamiliar Fishes by Sarah Vowell -- The Baltimore Sun said, "Vowell could make a trip to the DMV interesting," so see what she does with the remarkable history of Hawaii.
- Against All Odds by Scott Brown -- The autobiography of Massachusetts Senator and rising political star Scott Brown.
- Every Day by the Sun by Dean Faulkner Wells -- This memoir of the Mississippi Faulkners includes "pioneers, nobel and ignoble war veterans, three never-convicted murderers, the builder of the first railroad in north Mississippi, the founding president of a bank, an FBI agent, four pilots (all brothers), and a Nobel Prize winner" who you may have heard of!
- Cinderella Ate My Daughter by Peggy Orenstein -- This book describes "the dark side of pink and pretty" and ponders how "girlie-girl" culture may be impacting our daughters.
- The Dressmaker of Khair Khana by Gayle Lemmon -- The incredible, inspiring story of Kamila Sidiqi, who became the sole breadwinner for a family of five sisters after her father and brother were forced to flee Kabul -- with nothing more than needle and thread.
Happy reading! -Alan